CoinForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > US Coins & Paper Money > US Coin Main Forums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

new presidential dollar coins

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Master at Coins
Master at Coins

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paul1980 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: new presidential dollar coins
    Posted: 15 Feb 2007 at 8:36am
These are, in my opinion, the worst coins ever. The obverse looks like a novelty token given away by a gas station. The reverse looks just fine, but I would have preferred 'One Dollar' rather than $1.

In the unlikely event these coins ever become of numismatic value, the date and mintmark will not be visible when slabbed by third party grading companies.

Why would the US mint have any inclination to believe these coins will be popular? The Sacagewea dollar was a somewhat attractive coin, yet it was very unpopular simply because of the fact that one dollar bills are far more convenient. What makes these coins different other than the fact they are ugly?No dollar coin since the Peace Dollar of 1935 has really been used in circulation.

I would like to see some responses on this one.

silverhawk View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silverhawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2007 at 9:51am
I think the mint will make a fortune, but the coins will not be too well used or respected numismatically.
jimac49 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimac49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2007 at 11:24am
went to four banks here in Madison, WI before I found one that had them - most of the tellers I talked to didnt have a clue - what a joke - a new coin out on the streets and the banks have no idea what's going on - the design is OK, but I found several scratches and bagmarks on the few coins that I purchased unrolled - so the quality is not what I expected - if you are a collector I would suggest you get your coins before they hit the streets, because these coins will wear fast - all in all, not bad - hope this new $1 coin addition will stimulate the masses too collect coins and help keep the coin collecting industry healthy throughout the next several years - jimacBig%20smile
coin crazy!! View Drop Down
Master at Coins
Master at Coins

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coin crazy!! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2007 at 12:30pm
I heard today on the news, that these coins are "doomed".
FLBandit View Drop Down
Master at Coins
Master at Coins

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FLBandit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2007 at 10:23pm
I asked about them at my bank also but just got a blank stare. Of course this particular teller did not know when the new state quarters were coming out either!
I'm so happy, cause today I found my friends, they're in my head.-Nirvana
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic